Improve Mitochondria cell function results in improved health!
So… a word that keeps popping up before me lately is mitochondria. To be honest, it’s something that I had heard about but really did not know the full meaning of it and how it affects our overall health. I discovered that mitochondrial function is vital for healthy cell function and that Beta Caryophyllene (BCP) can play a crucial part in keeping our cells healthy.
Firstly, let’s take a look at what exactly are mitochondria:-
Mitochondria is a vital part of all cells in our body. They provide power for the functions that keep us alive and healthy, such as breathing, digesting food, and thinking. But they also have many other jobs apart from being just energy generators. Their duties range from protection against diseases to playing an essential role in the aging process.
What is mitochondrial dysfunction?
Mitochondrial dysfunction occurs when the mitochondria do not work as well as they should due to another disease or condition.
When damaged, they produce less and less energy, which results in compromised cell function and even cell death. When this progresses further, it can result in system-wide damage and dysfunction. The parts of the body that use the most energy are generally most affected by mitochondrial disease and dysfunction. This includes the heart, brain, muscles, and lungs.
What causes mitochondrial dysfunction?
Mitochondrial dysfunction can result from an inadequate number of mitochondria, an inability to transport necessary metabolites into mitochondria, or dysfunction in cellular respiration, particularly in the electron transport chain. This may occur as a result of the adverse effects of drugs, infections, and other environmental toxins, a poor diet, or the body’s decreased capacity to handle stress (resilience).
Symptoms of mitochondrial dysfunction :-
The most common symptoms are fatigue. Brain fog is also common if the mitochondria in your brain are not working so well.
Other symptoms include:
- mood disorders
- lack of focus
Most chronic diseases/conditions can also be linked to mitochondrial dysfunction. This includes:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Lung disease
- Vision and hearing problems
- Learning disabilities
- Liver and kidney disease
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Neurological diseases (including dementia)
- Movement disorders
So how can Canna Oils BCP help?
Below are some abstracts from studies undertaken:-
1. BCP can….increase SIRT1, CREB, PGC-1α, and PPAR-gamma the 4 genes that improve mitochondrial function.
2. Oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction are well organized events in the degeneration of neuronal cells….. Literature data suggest that βeta-caryophyllene, a dietary phytocannabinoid, possesses a neuroprotective capability through decreasing oxidative stress and stabilizing mitochondria….. Besides CB2 receptor agonism, βeta-caryophyllene has been found to positively regulate PPAR-γ, TLRs and neuroimmune pathways, as possible targets implicated in the protection against neuronal loss. Essential oils containing βeta-caryophyllene, extracted from different vegetable sources, also showed promising neuroprotective effects following their attenuation of oxidative stress and/or mitochondrial dysfunction…..
I never stop being amazed at how this relatively unknown terpene, Beta Caryophyllene can have such a huge impact on our wellbeing. In previous Blogs we have discussed how Canna Oils BCP is neuroprotective, fights against oxidative stress and how it helps with stress (all mentioned above) click here to check them out.
It’s great to know that we are supplementing our bodies with a natural, plant based product that gets right to the cause (not just a band aid)!!
The above information is for educational purposes only – not intended as medical advice.